Painting Webinar: MY HAND
LIVE on Friday, November 19, 2021, at 11 am Pacific.
The session's recording will be available anytime thereafter.
- 3-hour session.
- Remote. Join from anywhere.
- Open to all abilities and experience.
- Guided instruction and feedback provided.
- Feature your artwork on our Roofless Gallery.
Inspiration video: https://youtu.be/bK2VdXR47D8
-Scroll down to view and click on the registration button. ⏬
After purchase, we will send you an access link to the webinar (before the session starts) or the links to the recorded session if you purchase thereafter.
Both video and audio for participants will be muted by default during the live webinar. You'll be able to view and listen to the presentation and interact via chat. The session will be recorded and up for replay anytime after the live webinar ends.
MY HAND - Collection Essay
On a podcast we listened to this week, one of the speakers mentioned a scene in DUNE (the book and film versions) in which the protagonist placed his hand inside a box filled with pain. The speaker in the podcast went on to discuss how the psychological anticipation of pain can cause so much fear, but we stopped at the concept of hands as an extension of our bodies and how much we experience and express things through them.
Soon after, we saw pictures of Andrzej Stefanski in the LA Times. He is one of the last Polish Holocaust survivors living in Los Angeles. There was a collage of two images featuring his hands, along with the quote: "I was completely frozen. Somehow I survived..., my hands survived."
We're doing portraits of our hands as a way to document our physical existence at this moment in time.
- Painting premise: Still Life.
- Props: arrange a still life with any crystals in your home. Photos are welcome.
- Painting surface: any size, any kind. We recommend 9x12 or under.
- Painting webinar medium: oil over cotton paper. Feel free to select your media.